About Associate Professor Robert Paul MBBS (WA) FRANZCO UWA (Allied Health)
Dr Paul is the Medical Director, and Principal Surgeon at WA Laser Eye Centre & one of Perth’s most experienced & qualified refractive surgeons, & the first to perform live surgery at an International meeting. He was also the first surgeon in WA to have formal higher training in Laser Eye Surgery & the first surgeon to perform the Intralase (Bladeless) procedure at St John of God Murdoch. Dr Paul was also the first surgeon to insert approved Phakic Intraocular lenses.
Awards & Credits
- Awarded the Helen Jane Lamard Prize by the University of WA for being the best in Surgery in 1992.
- He was an examiner of Canadian Ophthalmologists and Western Australian medical students.
- He trained Eye Surgeons as an Ophthalmology Consultant at Fremantle Hospital 2002 -2007
- He is a mentor for Fellowship training in laser refractive surgery.
- He is the Federal Councillor of the WA Branch of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO).
- He is a Senior Lecturer at the University of NSW.
- He is an Adjunct Associate Professor UWA (School of Optometry)
- He is a Senior Lecturer at Curtin Medical School
About Dr Avenell Chew BMedSc (Melb) MBBS (Melb) FRANZCO
Dr Chew is an Australian-qualified Ophthalmologist, born and raised in Perth, Western Australia. He completed his medical degree at The University of Melbourne and returned to Perth and pursue his passion for ophthalmology and attain fellowship of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists.
Following his specialty training, Dr Chew undertook a subspecialist fellowship at the Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre in the United Kingdom, a world-renowned centre and the second largest eye centre in Europe. Here he performed advanced corneal and refractive surgical procedures and worked alongside some of the most respected names in the field.
Throughout his career, Dr Chew has published several articles in peer-reviewed medical journals. He has also presented his research at a number of conferences.
Dr Chew holds a public appointment at Fremantle Hospital, where he is actively involved in the training of specialist trainees and fellows.
He is also a member of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS), Global Education Research Society of Ophthalmology (GERSO) and American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO).