WA Laser Eye Centre
The APP provide a privacy protection framework that supports the rights and obligations of collecting, holding, using, accessing and correcting personal information. The APP consists of 13 principle-based laws and applies equally to paper-based and digital environments. The objective of APP is to ensure organisations manage personal information in a regulated, open and transparent manner. The Australian Privacy Principles can be accessed in full on the Office of the Australian Information Commissioners website.
WA LEC Practice procedure
- Provide a copy of this policy upon request
- Ensure staff comply with the APP and deal appropriately with inquiries or concerns
- Take such steps as are reasonable in the circumstances to implement practices, procedures and systems to ensure compliance with the APP and deal with inquiries or complaints
- Collect personal information for the primary purpose of managing your healthcare and for financial claims and payments.
WA LEC will take reasonable steps to ensure you understand:
- What information has been and is being collected
- Why the information is being collected, and whether this is due to a legal requirement
- How the information will be used or disclosed
- Why and when their consent is necessary
- WA LEC procedures for access and correction of information, and responding to complaints of information breaches, including by providing this policy.
Website usage information
When you access our website, we may use software embedded in our website and we may place small data files (or cookies) on our computer or other device to collect information about which pages you use and how you reach them, what you do when you visit a page, the length of time you remain on the page and how we perform in providing content to you. Our website may use Google Analytics features, which tracks your internet usage and discloses this to other members of the Google Ad network.
A cookie does not identify individuals personally, but it does identify computers. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie and this will provide you with an opportunity to either accept or reject it in each instance. You can also opt out of Google Analytics by clicking on Ad settings.
We may gather the IP address as part of our business activities and to assist with any operational difficulties or support issues with our services. This information does not identify you personally.
We will only interpret and apply a person’s consent for the primary purpose for which it was provided. Staff must seek additional consent from you if the personal information collected may be used for any other purpose.
Collection of information
The type of information that we collect from you will depend on the circumstances of collection and on the type of interaction you have with us. For example:
- If you are a patient of WA LEC, will collect personal information about you for the purposes of providing you with the highest possible standard of care and service. We will collect information such as your name, address, medical history, and any pre-existing medical conditions;
Your personal information may be held at WA LEC in various forms:
- As paper records
- As electronic records
- As visual – scans, computerised images and topography
WA LEC procedures for collecting your personal information are set out below.
- Staff collects your personal and demographic information via registration when you present at WA LEC for the first time. Patients are encouraged to pay attention to the collection statement attached to/within the form and information about the management of collected information and patient privacy.
- During the course of providing medical services, WA LEC’s healthcare practitioners will consequently collect further personal information.
- Personal information may also be collected from your guardian or responsible person (where practicable and necessary), or from any other involved healthcare specialists.
Storage of information
WA LEC holds all personal information securely, whether in electronic format, in protected information systems or in hard copy format in a secured environment. Information contained in an electronic database is password protected.
Use and disclosure of information
Personal information will only be used for the purpose of providing medical services and for claims and payments, unless otherwise consented to. We will inform you where there is a statutory requirement to disclose certain personal information (for example, some diseases require mandatory notification).
We will not disclose your personal information to any third party other than in the course of providing medical services, without full disclosure to you, the reason for the information transfer and full consent from you. WA LEC will not disclose personal information to anyone outside Australia without need and without your consent.
Exceptions to disclose without your consent are where the information is:
- A court order to produce your personal health information
- Required by law
- Necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patients consent
- Statutory medical notifications
WA LEC will not use any personal information in relation to direct marketing to you without your express consent. You may opt-out of direct marketing at any time by notifying WA LEC by phone, in a letter or email.
Access and corrections to information
You are entitled to request access to all personal information including your medical record by contacting WA LEC, the contact details are outlined in this policy.
You may be charged a fee for any associated costs with providing access to your requested information. We will inform you of any likely costs.
Access to your personal information may be declined in special circumstances such as where giving access would be unlawful. You will be notified in writing where we are not able to provide the requested information.
We will take reasonable steps to correct personal information where it is satisfied they are not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify your personal information to ensure it is correct and up to date. If you believe that the information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete please let us know and we will correct the information
We take complaints and concerns about the privacy of your personal information very seriously. You should contact WA LEC with details of your complaint. All complaints will be handled fairly and as quickly as possible.
Links to other websites
This website may contain links to other external websites. We have given permission for other organisations to link their websites to this website. We are not responsible for the privacy policies of any organisation other than our own.
If you have any questions about privacy related matters, please contact WA LEC on:
Ph: (08) 9330 8463
Postal address: 533 Canning Highway MELVILLE WA 6154